BAGHDAD — On Monday November 6, 4 US military bases founded in Iraq and Syria experienced drones attacks. Iraqi Shiite militia group has claimed responsibility of the attacks that left scores injured.
An armed militia group referring to itself as the “Islamic Resistance in Iraq” which operates under the umbrella body for the Iranian-supported Iraqi militias, owned the attacks.
“Our fighters had launched booby-trapped drones and rockets toward a U.S. base in al-Shaddadi in northeastern Syria and the drones and rockets had hit their targets, without giving further details,” read two statements posted online by the militia group.
However, a Britain-based war monitor found in Syria, who is also the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights agency, confirmed that the attacks happened.
Meanwhile, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based war monitor, confirmed that “The al-Shaddadi base was attacked twice and U.S. anti-aircraft weapons shot down two drones in one of the attacks,” said the observatory agency.
“While casualties have not yet been reported, the attacks are believed to be part of a series of retaliatory measures against the U.S. forces amid the ongoing conflict in Gaza,” said the observatory.
“The incident marks the 26th recorded attack on U.S. bases in Syria since Oct. 19,” it added.
“Iran’s strategic objective for a very long time, way before October 7, was to force US forces to withdraw from the region,” said a senior defense official on October 30.
“We have maintained tens of thousands of US forces across the region for decades. We have increased our air defense posture. Most of these attacks have been unsuccessful. But Iran’s strategic objective has not changed,” he added.
“On Friday afternoon, a one-way attack drone was shot down near Shaddadi, Syria, with no casualties or infrastructure damage reported, a US official updated on Monday. On Saturday morning, another one-way attack drone was shot down near Shaddadi with no casualties or infrastructure damage reported,” read the report.
“Another one-way attack drone was shot down near Tall Baydar, Syria, on Monday morning. None of the attacks over the weekend resulted in casualties or damage to infrastructure,” confirmed the US official.
“Most of these attacks were successfully disrupted by our military,” said the US official.
“Most failed to reach their targets, thanks to our robust defenses,” he added.
“While recent attacks haven’t appeared to result in any injuries to US forces, attacks before the US’ response on October 26 have resulted in more than 40 minor injuries so far, including 20 diagnoses of traumatic brain injury (TBI),” read the statement.
“The number of US troops who have reported injury due to the increasingly frequent attacks have grown — more than 20 additional people have reported minor injuries,” said Pentagon spokesman Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder Ryder on Monday.