The Oxnard Police Department offered the following tips to help prevent fraudulent use of your personal information:
- Immediately report any theft of your personal identifying information especially if it was used to purchase items, obtain credit or open accounts;
- Do not give your personal identifying information to anyone that you do not know or did not solicit their services;
- Do not leave anything containing your personal identifying information in your car or any place where someone could take it;
- Sign the back of your credit cards or write, “Demand to see proper ID” so that clerks pay attention to your credit card use; and
- Obtain a credit report annually: www.annualcreditreport.com.
Residents are encouraged to report suspicious activity to police. Residents can report anonymously and translators are available 24/7.