Ventura County Library branches are providing limited Internet access to assist people who need to complete the 2020 Census. In each of the 12 branches of the County library system, a computer with access limited to just the official 2020 Census webpage will be available for the public to use. Computer access is available by appointment only for the purpose of completing the nine-question survey.
“With the Census being conducted primarily online now, a priority for our libraries has been to find a way to safely provide access to the Internet for community members who have no other way to connect online and complete the survey”, said Nancy Schram, Library Director. “There is still very much a “digital divide” in the county. Our libraries play a key role in empowering everyone to be able to complete the census, which benefits the entire community.”
Individuals who would like access to a computer to complete the Census can call one of 12 library locations to make one-hour appointments, once per day, to complete the survey. Access to other Internet webpages is not available. Walk-ups may be accommodated only if the designated computer is available.
Residents who want to use the service will need to follow these guidelines:
• Wearing a mask is required inside all library locations
• Social distancing of up to six feet is required at all times
• Restrooms are not available for public use
• Other areas of the library and browsing of library collections are not available at this time
• Computer equipment and hard surfaces touched must be cleaned after use with provided disinfectant wipes
• Staff may only provide limited assistance and must use social distancing at all times
• Each computer may only be used for Census purposes at this time
• Visitors must present their Ventura County Library card at their scheduled appointment, or inform staff at the time the appointment is made if they do not have a library card
Most of the twelve branches will provide access Monday through Friday from 1pm – 6pm. Select locations, such as the Foster Library, Hill Road Library, Ojai Library, and Prueter Library will offer hours on Saturdays from 10am – 3pm.
For a full list of library branches and hours when the service is available, please visit: www.vencolibrary.org/census-computer-access